Paternity Is An Important Step To Enforcing Your Rights

Paternity is the process of establishing the legal father of a child. It is often done when a mother wishes to recover financial support from the father, or when a father wants to claim visitation or custody rights. Paternity also may be sought to prove that someone is not the father of a child.

Paternity can be established voluntarily if both parents sign a legal document known as a Voluntary Acknowledgement of Paternity, or through DNA testing. Florida law states that paternity is automatically established if a mother is married at the time of a child's birth. If a mother is not married at the time of birth, paternity must be established voluntarily or through a court order.

Who Can Commence A Paternity Action?

A paternity action can be filed by the child's mother, the alleged father, a legal representative acting on behalf of the child or the Florida Department of Revenue. The Florida Department of Revenue initiates paternity cases in order to enforce child support payments.

At Barry P. Burnette, PA, in Tavares, we help mothers and fathers throughout Central Florida establish paternity. There are many reasons why it is a good idea to establish paternity, including to:

  • Enforce payment of child support
  • Pursue custody or visitation time with a child
  • Provide a child access to important information regarding family medical history
  • Provide a child access to a father's health insurance or life insurance benefits
  • Allow a child to recover Social Security or veterans benefits, inheritances, or legal judgments or settlements from lawsuits, such as a wrongful death claim

Enlist The Services Of An Experienced Central Florida Paternity Lawyer

As you can see, establishing paternity has significant financial and legal ramifications for everyone involved. When paternity issues arise, it is wise to consult with an experienced family law attorney like Barry P. Burnette. We strive to resolve issues efficiently and cost-effectively.

Call 352-508-6735 or use our online contact form to schedule a consultation. We can answer your questions regarding paternity or any family law matter and recommend an effective course of action.